Sunday 6 January 2008

A bunch of 9 year olds and a packet of crisps


It’s our nephew’s 9th birthday today and we spent the afternoon at his ten pin bowling party. The partying adults played in their own lane however I still managed to come second to last, only my 60-year-old aunt-in-law got a lower score then I did and she hasn’t bowled for 20 years! I resisted putting up the sidebars for fear of being humiliated further but I think I’ll stick to the Wii in future.

Fall Over
Funniest part of the afternoon was seeing my mother-in-law chase her grandson/our 2-year-old nephew down the bowling lane, falling flat on her backside when she ran beyond the line of no return. I know you shouldn’t laugh at other people’s misfortune but it was funny.

Grumpy Mummy
Late in the afternoon I got the grumps temporarily when I spotted Peanut eating crisps. I know kids will be kids and she’s not barred from eating them or anything like that, it’s just that it was the second day in a row crappy food was being provided in the hour or so before her dinner [we spent yesterday afternoon with MIL as well].

Last night she didn’t eat her meal so I was damned if it was going to happen twice. MIL said I couldn’t blame the crisps for her not eating dinner yesterday. Which just made me feel like I didn’t know what was best for my own daughter, which in turn made me feel about two years old. I know she didn’t mean any harm, and I do love her to bits really, but sometimes I wonder when I’ll be taken seriously or if my opinions will always be dismissed!

P.S.
Question for any parents/paediatricians reading this…Peanut is currently keeping her number 2’s to herself for fear they will hurt her. The longer she goes the more agitated and distressed she gets but no amount of ignoring the situation, persuasion, bribery, telling off is enough to make her want to go.

When she eventually does go it never hurts as she had anticipated so she’s freaking out about something that doesn’t even come true.

This is the 3rd time this week she’s pulled this trick so any advice would be appreciated. Do you think it’s a coincidence it ties in with me going back to work? A cry for attention perhaps, reminding me she’s still my baby who needs lots of cuddles? A silly theory I’m sure but I’m clutching at straws.

No comments: