Sunday 20 January 2008

Home alone


Husband has been a very busy boy today so I’ve been home alone a lot. Probably a good thing considering I haven’t washed and wouldn’t want to scare anyone by going out in public!


He kick started activities by going out for a mountain bike ride in the very muddy forest with a couple of friends. They returned a few hours later coated up to their eyeballs, requiring a hose down in the garden. One friend made an early exit so I hope he’s ok and wasn’t sick on his way home. I think the conditions were quite extreme so it was probably very tough going for his first time out. I hope it hasn’t put him off doing it again.

The favour was then returned when husband decided he and Peanut would go out for a walk to buy the newspaper, giving me a bit of time to myself. When he came home he confessed to having nearly bought me flowers but thought I wouldn’t approve of him spending the money. It was nice to hear the thought was there though. I must write a post about our money story so you understand where these kind of comments come from. Another day.

Now he’s out again, having taken Peanut to her swimming lesson. Sometimes I go along too but he said I could stay home today and get dinner ready. Not a completely selfless gesture as he’s going out for a quick drink with his brother this evening, to provide him with a shoulder to cry on, and needs to be out of the house by 6.

Therefore my task for this afternoon is to get meat pie and all the trimmings on the table for 5pm. I really should go and put the potatoes on to part boil or they’ll never be roasted in time. But apart from that, the steak pie is ready to rock as I slow cooked the meat last night and the puff pastry is already on.

A year ago I didn’t cook hardly at all [I've never had much interest in food if it’s not high in sugar and bad for me] but for some reason I became interested in being a domestic goddess at the beginning of 2007 and it seems to have stuck. Must be my age catching up with me!

3 comments:

lattemommy said...

It's nice that you guys balance out the domestic duties. I love a man who steps up to the plate where his children are concerned. My husband is very good about that. Sometimes he doesn't recognize what needs to be done and he needs a little nudge, but he will always help out when asked.

lattemommy said...

Oh, BTW, I added you to my blogroll. Hope it brings you some new visitors. Keep up the good work!

Agnes Miller said...

He's pretty good most of the time...wears blinkers to the mountains of stuff he leaves in his wake but apart from that I know I have it quite good. Swashbuckling romantic he isn't but hey, a girl can't have everything!

Thanks for the returned linky love.

Agnes. x