Wednesday 30 January 2008

A taxing matter


To procrastinate means to put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness; to postpone or delay needlessly.


It will therefore come as no surprise when I tell you the tax return forms I received last April have only just been completed. Tonight. 24 hours before the final deadline. 9 months after receiving them.

Had I not filed them before midnight tomorrow, the penalty would have been a fine of £100 for my tardiness. Thankfully, instead of that shambles, I can now be relieved it’s over for another year. Well, for longer than that really as next year I won’t have to complete one at all. Big smiles.

Unfortunately it means, rather than coming up with a witty and inspiring post this evening, I had to ensure I kept the tax man happy instead. He did reward me at the end of it all though by owing me 22 pence. Perhaps I could share?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Damn taxes! Congrats on completing them, the penalites suck.

lattemommy said...

Mmmm... procrastination. I know all about it. There were a few years there in my early 20's when I just didn't file. Interestingly, the government didn't seem to notice. (Big Brother? Since I know you're watching... I eventually filed them. If only to get my tuition tax credit...)