Friday 29 February 2008

I can see clearly now...


...the rain has gone.


For the past two days we’ve had the most amazing transformation happening at home. After seven years of suffering rotten, leaking windows, and doors that wouldn’t close without a hefty kick, we gave in and signed up for replacements.

They’re not sash but they are sympathetic to the style they should really be, which is a marked improvement on the 70s casement style that was here before.

Plus they aren’t covered in heavy condensation so I can actually see out of them, which is a complete novelty. Strange but true. Of all the nice things I received for my birthday, I have to say my new windows are just lovely. It feels like our house has been swaddled in cotton wool to protect it from the outside world.

Hmm, moving on from my peculiar subject…

My birthday didn’t quite work out as I had hoped but it was nice all the same, and not once did I dwell on my new age. I spent the day with husband and Peanut, and while she was an absolute horror for a while [we even had to give a time out in the middle of a department store!], on the whole it was much nicer to be with them than at work.

It was also nice to be able to play the ‘birthday card’ to get out of doing stuff! Cheeky I know but you only get it once a year!

We didn’t make it to The Portrait Gallery and I didn’t quite get to shop till I dropped but I did get to buy some new stuff. I only managed to spend my birthday money [lots of cash presents must mean I’m difficult to buy for!?] so I still have all my own budget still burning a hole.

We also did get to demo all the Bugaboo’s and I have to say husband wasn’t entirely put off. He blew me away slightly as he came away preferring the new Bugaboo Bee, a model I hadn’t even considered as I thought he’d consider it weird. He liked that it folded down all in one [you have to take the seat off the others first], plus he didn't really want the Gecko carrycot as he doesn’t think we have anywhere to store it [fair point].

Funnily, I’m not sure about the Bee because it seemed really tiny but hey, it may be a fair compromise. Slightly fraudulent of us to even look at them, considering I’m not cooking a baby, but fun all the same.

Right now we’re off to my mum’s for two days of being looked after…yum.

4 comments:

Erin said...

LOVE my Bugaboo Cameleon! I highly recommend it. If you live in a city and need to fold down your stroller to fit in trunks or taxi's I would recommend the Bee. I also got the car seat that you can snap into the stroller base which was a huge help when P was small and would sleep while running errands. Plus it's so easy to manuver through stores.

lattemommy said...

Happy (belated) birthday! Glad you had an enjoyable day, even though you didn't get to do everything on your list.

Enjoy your weekend!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday!
Replacement windows, I am jealous, we need to replace our 1946, extremely drafty windows.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear the day didn't go exactly as planned, however, it's pretty cool that you still have your clothing budget intact! Now, you've got me all excited for Mother's Day and my birthday in June!