Thursday 14 February 2008

My Valentine


I saw this Q and A on Latte Mommy the other day and she kindly said within her post, despite it being a meme, anyone could give it a go. In honour of it being Valentine's Day today I wanted to be all romantic and take a walk down memory lane. And a lovely walk it was. I also wanted to post during my working day [ssshhh, don't tell my boss!] so that I'm not glued to my Mac tonight at home!


1. Where/how did you meet your husband?

We met through work back in 2000. Our companies merged, and as part of the integration they took us all away for an overnight trip to ‘bond’. He was dressed up as David Beckham and I was Wednesday Adams [well, I had two plaits in my hair, a black shirt dress with the buttons open to the top of my legs and knee high boots, so I was more a naughty school girl!]. Let’s just say we bonded!

2. How long have you known each other?

We met in September 2000 so it’s coming up for eight years.

3. How long after you met did you start dating?

Instantly. The day after our ‘away day’ we returned home: him to his mum, me to my parents. He promised he’d call on the Sunday afternoon but half of me didn’t believe he would, though call he did. And from what I’ve heard, it seems he spent all day Saturday talking to his family about how ‘he’d met a girl’. Very sweet.

4. How long did you date before you were engaged?

Seven months. We got engaged midway up the Spanish Steps in Rome the following April. It was quite late at night after being out for dinner so we were alone [if you’ve ever been to Rome you’ll know what I mean, during the day would have been very different!].

5. How long was your engagement?

A year and a bit. We either wanted to get married in September or April [when we met and when we got engaged]. The first September was only a couple of months away and that felt too soon, the following April wasn’t going to work for someone who I wanted to travel from Australia so September the following year it was .

6. How long have you been married?

Six years in September.

7. What is your anniversary?

September 15th. Exactly two years to the day after we met.

8. How many people came to your wedding reception?

A little over 30. We wanted to keep it very small and only have our favourite people there.

9. What kind of cake did you serve?

We had a light fruit cake which was made from a hundred year old secret recipe. MIL’s cousin had her wedding cake made by the same people about 30 years earlier so it felt right. It was covered in simple ivory icing with real rose petals strewn around. It was yummy.

10. Where was your wedding?

We were married in a tiny hamlet in the Cotswolds, a really picturesque part of England. The ceremony took place at 4pm, and after Champagne and a few photos we sat down for dinner, speeches and then music. I think we were back in our suite by midnight.

11. What did you serve for the meal?

Our wedding was on a Sunday so our main course was a traditional roast beef dinner of the highest quality. It was mouth-wateringly delicious. We had a soup to start and apple tarte-tatin for dessert. I wanted it to be really simple and wholesome, as I love traditional English food, and this was a lovely way to serve the best of it.

12. How many people were in your bridal party?

Only one, my best friend from back in Australia.

13. Are you still friends with them all?

Yes but I’m rubbish at keeping in touch and owe her an email.

14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony?

Neither of us did, though I nearly cried and wanted to throw up just before walking in. During the ceremony I gripped his hand for dear life and then as soon as it was over I felt like I could breathe again. Nothing like a room full of people staring at you to make you nervous!

15. Most special moment of your wedding day?

I think after signing the register, and heading out into the sunshine for photos, I started to relax and enjoy the day. The most special moment for me was the amazing release; and the realisation that after months of planning and anxiety we could finally relax, enjoy ourselves and feel amazingly close and bonded by our vows.

16. Any funny moments?

Our photographer wasn’t your standard wedding type, he was more used to shooting celebrities and advertisements, but he did a great job of adding a fun spirit to it all. When he appeared out of a window at the very old stately home [now hotel] to take an elevated group shot was very funny, and took the edge off the formalities.

17. Any big disasters?

Not that I can remember. Even my MIL and FIL tolerated each other for the day and they were our biggest worry in the build up.

18. Where did you go on your honeymoon?

Jimbaran Bay, Bali. Heaven.

19. How long were you gone?

Two and a half glorious weeks. For the first few days of our honeymoon we were still walking around with a nip to our pace - we referred to it as our London walk. By the end of our time on the island we had definitely wound down and slowed to the Bali pace of life. Why can’t every day be a Bali day?

20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change?

Probably my hair.

In retrospect I think I would have worn it loose and softly waved instead of poker straight. I think I would have also kept it really long and not listened to my dressmaker who told me to lop inches off it so that it didn’t go below the top of my corset. Nothing major though, just something I see when I look at my photos, but I also see how healthy, happy and relaxed I look.

I also think I should have worn a veil.

Slight sore point also hangs over my hair as I also rejected a diamante headpiece my SIL hand-crafted for me. Though I don’t regret choosing not to wear it.

21. What side of the bed do you sleep on?

The right when you’re in it, the left when you look at it.

22. What size is your bed?

King, but I think we need a bigger duvet.

23. Greatest strength as a couple?

As we vowed we would, we ‘share all things’.

We also both strongly believe in not quitting and not being part of the throw-away society we now live in.

He knows me better than anyone else and together, with Peanut, we’re a family.

24. Greatest challenge as a couple?

Definitely my debt-awakening last year. Sleep deprivation after Peanut was quite tough as I think it led to us being slightly finger pointing about who was pulling their weight. Also, my husband’s knack of going from 0 to 100mph in 5 seconds; he can blow up without waiting to listen to rationale so you end up pussy footing around his fuse a bit. That and he’s a bit glass half empty sometimes so you have to pump him up. I’m no walk in the park either, when I want something I want it now and I also want things just right. He thinks I mumble and use the Mac too much. But hey, we all have our niggles.

25. Who literally pays the bills?

Me. Husband knows what’s going on and can check our bank account at any time, but he leaves the admin to me.

26. What is your song?

Madness: ‘It Must Be Love’. They are his favourite band so it resurfaces quite a lot for us.

27. What did you dance your first dance to?

While we didn’t have dancing at our wedding, we did at our post-honeymoon party. We danced to ‘It Must Be Love’ on that occasion.

28. Describe your wedding dress.

It was hand made by a designer in London called Annette Carey. It was her ‘Grace’ design and it was lovely. It was ever so slightly ivory, slim-off-the-hip with a reasonably long train. The skirt was taffeta and then had a layer of silk georgette over it. The corset was ruched and was again taffeta overlaid with georgette. It’s really hard to describe but it was beautiful. There’s a pic on Annette’s website which may do more justice than my words are able.

It made me feel like a princess, and with my 4 inch Jimmy Choo’s I glided around with my shoulders back and a beaming smile on my face all day.

29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding?

White and palest pink roses. Minimal foliage of only pale green Eucalyptus leaves in honour of my Aussie past. My small, hand-tied bouquet was beautiful. The next day my mum placed it on her mum’s grave so that she became a part of our day.

30. Are your wedding bands engraved?

Yes. I have his name and he has mine, and we both have our wedding date [just so he can’t forget!].

7 comments:

lattemommy said...

Sounds like you had a gorgeous wedding! Thanks so much for doing this meme - I've really enjoyed everyone's answers. It's such fun to hear about everyone's big day!

piper said...

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! Lovely you!

~xo

Unknown said...

Gah! That was so romantic. Thank you for sharing that...it should be featured in a bridal mag!

Happy Valentine's Day sweetie!

Gypsy at Heart said...

This is the third of this particular meme I've read. The answers just keep getting better and better. You had a lovely wedding. That's obvious. Glad I found your blog.

Agnes Miller said...

Thanks everyone. I really had to dredge my memory for some of my answers so it was a really nice task to remember it all. My husband read it and even he felt warm and fuzzy after, which after nearly 8 years together is some achievement! A. x

Erin said...

Beautiful photo, I was actually married before digital photography. Boy do I feel old!
So cool you got engaged on the Spanish Steps, we were just in Rome last year and stayed in a hotel right by the Spanish Steps. Beautiful place Rome actually all of Italy. Love that you have each others names engraved in your rings, it's just perfect.

Agnes Miller said...

Our photos were shot on film as well. We've only scanned three, of which the dress is one. It's a shame really because I know I'd pour over them a lot more if I had laptop access to them.

I love all of Italy too, it's one of my favourite holiday destinations. I'd love to go there for our next holiday but not sure we'll go abroad this year.