Monday 18 February 2008

Camouflage anyone?


I know I’m perhaps thinking too far ahead but I have clothing budget burning a hole in my pocket and I want to make sure I’m sensible with it. In the naïve hope I’ll find myself pregnant sooner rather than later I’ve been giving thought to a capsule maternity wardrobe.


Looking back on it, my first pregnancy was a fashion disaster. It was a winter pregnancy and I got away with lots of velour jogging pants and Ugg boots [blame Juicy Couture for that fashion phase]. If I get pregnant right now I’m all set for a high summer bump, not something I would have wished for but I will be thrilled with that option, now that perfection no longer matters.

Before I was ever pregnant I had an idealistic image in my head of glowing pregnant women. Mostly derived from reading too many celebrity magazines, all of which led me to believe everyone looks like that when they’re pregnant and everyone gets skinny again within a week. How wrong I was!

Thing is, when you’re pregnant it seems wasteful to spend lots of money on clothes that are temporary so you just ‘make do’. And that was in a life before debt awakening! I dread to think what I’ll end up wearing this time round, now that frugality is in the mix!

I’ve been looking up my options for maternity jeans and I quite like these ones on the Topshop website. They look quite normal and cheap. All of my regular jeans are Seven For All Mankind but they all pre-date debt awakening last year so I can’t afford £200 for a maternity version of those!

Does anyone have any style/fashion/budget tips for how to pull off my hopefully-soon-to-be-impending yummy mummy bump?

6 comments:

Erin said...

weird question, do you read the very mindless "shopaholic" series? "Shopaholic get Married" "Shopaholic has a baby". You reminded me of this series as they are based in London and she talks about Topshop and yummy mummy bumps. I totally enjoyed the books and bonus you can finish them in mere hours since like I said it's pretty mindless reading. Anyway, for your fashion dilemma. I don't have many suggestions other than Target has some cute non-expensive things, if you have Target over there.

Sarah said...

if you figure out how to look glowing at a fraction of the cost, let me know! today, i am now down to 4 pairs of maternity pants because my post-baby pants now don't fit and of those 2 pairs, 2 are a little big and only 1 look nice, maternity clothes are difficult to find.

Agnes Miller said...

Erin: I read the very first one I think, way back before I got married. I related to her antics from what I can remember but since having Peanut I haven't really read books, I usually only have time for magazines these days! Do I remind you of her for her ridiculous obsession with spending money or her mindless writing style? :)

Sarah: have you looked on ebay? I sold the posh jeans I bought when pregnant with Peanut for £10 on ebay. I must have paid at least £80 when I bought mine from the store in Covent Garden and they were as good as new. I'm definitely going to look on there this time around.

Erin said...

you don't remind me of her for either of those reasons! I think it's just the UK thing!

Agnes Miller said...

I must be more reformed and less mind numbing than I anticipated! That's good.

Unknown said...

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to add that in those last few months with twins, NO maternity clothing would fit me. I stopped bothering (since I was on princess bed rest) and just wore hubby's t-shirts, etc. It was the middle of summer, also, so it was incredibly hot and uncomfortable.