Saturday 2 February 2008

End of the road?


Despite believing our cat had made a miraculous recovery, despite believing maybe she really did just have an ear infection, this morning she suffered a big relapse. Out of the blue she just couldn't walk properly, struggled to stand and her head was a bit wobbly.

Husband and I just know it's the end of the road for her. Peanut is slightly prepared, we've been talking to her about how the cat will need to go and live with someone who knows how to look after wobbly cats. Peanut seems ok with that in theory but I don't suppose it will be that easy in reality.

We're going to see how the cat is over the weekend and, I guess, if she's no better by tomorrow night then we'll have to make the call.

I guess there is a positive we can all take from this; the treatment the vet gave her at New Year at least gave us a month with her where we could be nice to her, spoil her and give her lots of affection. In some ways, come to terms with her not being well and say goodbye.

A month ago, when it all first happened, we would have taken the time we've just had as enough. And I guess now it will have to be.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to read that. I've never had a pet, but I do understand that they are one of the family. ((HUGS))

lattemommy said...

Oh, Agnes. So very sad. I have had several pets over the years, and it's always difficult when they die. I have a kitty now, but we used to have his sister too. 3 years ago she just woke up in the early morning, fell off our bed, gasped a little and died. The vet said it was either a heart attack or a pulmonary embolus. It was very sudden, and it still makes me very sad. I would have loved to have one more month with her to make her feel special and loved. I'm glad you got that with your kitty. I hope everything goes ok, and that Peanut understands why kitty has to go away. She'll miss her, I'm sure.

((Hugs))

Agnes Miller said...

Thank you both for your hugs. I really can't explain her but, by some fluke of nature, our cat seems to be living to see another day. Her condition has improved today, she's not perfect but she's a lot better. So, for now, we are avoiding [or at least postponing] the end of her road. Maybe writing about her brings her luck?