Friday 15 February 2008

Antithesis of romance


When I was a little girl I used to pronounce the first word in my post title as antee-thee-siss. For a couple of reading tests in a row I failed on that word alone, you’d have thought I would have gone home and asked my mum how to pronounce it but I never did, so I kept on failing.


So now it’s a word that sticks in my head: ant-ith-isiss, a thing that is the direct opposite of something else. And that’s exactly what my evening was last night, the opposite of romance.

I came home from work on a busy tube with delays, raced to the nursery, made it by the skin of my teeth, and drove home with Peanut [who was thankfully in a reasonable mood].

Husband and I exchanged cards, but I know we only bought them because we ‘should’. We don’t really believe in the commercial push behind the day, I guess that’s a twist of us both working in industries related to marketing. We know the base line of most things in life is to sell, sell, sell. And I guess we don’t believe you should be told to be romantic [even though as a girly girl I would love to be showered with gifts!].

Anyway, Peanut fell asleep immediately after I read her a short Snow White story so that was quite painless. Husband’s football team were playing an important European game so he had that on television and I set about cooking dinner.

Except I got distracted and burned the dinner, and it was only Carbonara! The simplest meal in the world was ruined - I tasted it and all I could taste was charcoal. I even burned the wooden spoon that was resting on the edge of the pan; it nearly burned through completely – whoops!

We ended up having different dinners. I had pasta with a ready-made sauce and husband had heated up mini chicken tikka fillets with microwave rice, both very bland. They didn’t even come together at the same time so I’d finished eating mine before his was ready. Hilarious really.

After dinner we watched football together but both fell asleep on our separate chair and sofa. We were in bed by 10, a consequence of it being Thursday and being worn out from the treadmill of our working week.

When we got into bed I tried my luck for making Baby Number 2 but sleep was deemed the priority. I guess a girl can’t expect it every day, not after 8 years, not even if there is a baby to be made!

Our evening was definitely the antithesis of romance. But hey, I’ll take a loving relationship all year round if it means skipping one evening when it’s ‘supposed’ to be all candlelight and roses. At least it makes a silly story.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd have to say you win hands down!

mimbles said...

We don't "do" Valentines Day either, primarily because our wedding anniversary is 2 weeks before it. But as Adam is an incorrigible romantic I was not much surprised to find red roses waiting for me on the doorstep when I got back from my bead making class on Thursday.

It's good to be able to see the funny side of the mundane disasters in life - did the pan you were cooking in survive? I had to throw out a saucepan once after cooking something to death in it.

I'm absurdly pleased to see the link to my blog on your sidebar - thank you! :)

lattemommy said...

Sorry to hear your V-day didn't quite turn out the way you'd planned. I think you're right, though - Valentine's Day is really a commercial holiday. It's the way you treat each other the other 364 days of the year that count.

Unknown said...

My hunny would love you! Wanting it everyday?!?! You sound just like him!